Thursday, November 27, 2008

Life Update...


I need one of those loft beds. You know, like a bunk bed without the bottom bunk?

I found a place to live. It seems like it will be a good place to live. But the room is rather small, and my queen size bed would take up all the room. And I have other stuff I need in my room. Books, clothes, you know, stuff like that.

So I think I'm going to be without a bed for a little while. I'll give my queen to my sister to use in one of her kids' rooms. I may use my nephew's twin size bed, but I'll have to eyeball it and see how it looks. I may just end up sleeping on the floor for a little while until I have a paying job and can buy a loft bed. They have one at Ikea for $250. I like the looks of it, I just want to visit the Draper store and see if it has a weight limit.

I'm kind of half-way considering going to Massage Therapy school. If I go full-time, it would take me seven months to get my license. The school I looked at also has about a 90% placement rate for its graduates. To remain accredited as a vocational school, it needs at least a 70% placement rate. So they are exceeding the requirement, which is positive.

I also think it would be a good thing to have in my pocket for when I go to grad school. If I get a teaching assistant position, I wouldn't be able to have another job, which is a requirement of every grad program I've looked at. But with a massage license, I could do a couple massages on the weekend to get some extra cash, but I would also be able to limit the clientele I accept.

I'm not 100% sure on getting the license, as it would all be paid for by more student loans. Having a bachelor's degree, I wouldn't qualify for grants. I'd say I'm hovering at a 50% chance of doing it.

But I do suddenly have a school I would like to go to for my grad schooling. The University of Miami. I got an email from them. They have a PhD program that lasts 4-5 years, but skips over the Masters degree. I would work directly on my doctorate. And every grad student they accept by the earlier deadline gets a teaching assitantship, which includes a $20,000 a year stipend and a tuition fellowship.

Yeah, I like that idea.

Anyway that's what's been going through my head lately, besides the trying to find a job thing.


2 comments:

The Robinsons said...

Sounds like you have a lot of decisions...kinda like Derrick. U of Miami sounds like a good idea. Good luck with it all!

julie said...

Congrats on the new place! I bet it's a relief to get your own place, even if you have a roommate. Also, glad you have an idea of where you'd like to go to grad school - sounds like a great place. Good luck with everything.