I've been reading for a very, very long time. In the journal my mother kept, she says that I was reading pre-kindergarten.
I remember being addicted to the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew book series at an early age. I read the ones I owned and the ones in the library over and over.
In fact, most books I love I read over and over. I probably go through my book collection, for the most part, once a year. I get very attached to the characters in these books. They are almost real to me.
Rather than ruining some of the plot twists, my intimate knowledge of what's coming enhances my enjoyment of the reading experience. For example, in the original Dragonlance trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, one of the principal characters dies early in the third book. Rather than ruining the moment, when I come across the early clues to his death I get emotional. Sometimes my eyes tear up so much I can't read for a couple minutes. And then when he dies, it takes me about 10 minutes to recover.
I'm also a very fast reader. When I read, it's almost like a movie running in front of my eyes. At least in English.
At the beginning of the summer, I set a goal to read several specific books by the end of the summer. It's close enough now that I can say I'm not going to get there. Rather than beat myself up about what I didn't get done, I thought I'd list what books I did read this summer.
- On Writing by Stephen King
- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the six book series) by Douglas Adams
- Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey
- Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
- On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
- The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
- The Bourne Supremacy by Robert Ludlum
- The Bourne Ultimatum by Robert Ludlum
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- Daughter of the Blood by Anne Bishop
- Heir to the Shadows by Anne Bishop
- Queen of Darkness by Anne Bishop
- The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
- The Summer of Black Widows by Sherman Alexie
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
- The Harry Potter books (all seven) by J.K. Rowling
- Lots of comic book graphic novels, including: Ex Machina by Brian K. Vaughan and Tony Harris (2 volumes), Blackest Night and Blackest Night: Green Lantern by Geoff Johns and various artists, and PS 238 by Aaron Williams (7 volumes).