Wednesday, October 8, 2008

It's Time to Try Defying Gravity....


...and no, I'm not considering throwing myself off of anything, in case that's what you thought.

Is it weird or wrong that I'm loving the music from a musical based on a book that I didn't like? Actually, my feelings against the book are even a bit stronger than that. I hated it. I almost got to the end, but honestly couldn't finish, I was so sick of it.

What book?

It's called Wicked, by Gregory Maguire. It's based on the Wizard of Oz movie, told from the Wicked Witch's point of view. She was really just misunderstood and a talking-animal rights activist. I honestly think I would enjoy a well written book that turns plots around and makes the Witch the heroine. But the book was crappily written and not enjoyable at all.

So why do I think I would enjoy seeing the Broadway musical? Well, the music is catchy and inspiring, for one thing. I find the song "Defying Gravity" particularly inspiring. "For Good" is a tear-jerker of a song that anyone could sing at any occasion where you are honoring someone that inspired you and affected your life. And "Popular" is hilarious and fun.

Plus, the original Broaway cast included Idina Menzel (famous for Rent, and also played Nancy in "Enchanted"), Kristin Chenoweth (played Sally in Broadway's "...Charlie Brown" and is currently costarring in ABC's "Pushing Daisies"), and Joel Grey (Who won a Tony and an Oscar for playing the role of the Emcee in Cabaret on Broadway and in the movie). So it has some great voices, some great songs, and seems like it isn't too faithful to the book, which, for me, is one of the stronger selling points.

So I want to see it at some point. I'm hoping I'll enjoy the show, and not just parts.

Who knows, maybe it's too similar to the book and I'll hate it forever.

I guess I'll find out eventually.


2 comments:

julie said...

I've heard great things about the show and I've heard the song "Popular" - very catchy! I don't know anyone who has read the book and seen the show, so I honestly don't know how much they resemble each other. I hope you see it someday and love it to pieces.

I haven't read Wicked, but I've read two of his other books and I totally understand. I thought the concepts were pretty cool - especially Cinderella as told by the ugle stepsister - but found how he told the stories to be seriously lacking. Too bad, really.

The Robinsons said...

So i have never read the book (all i've heard is bad reviews so I'm sketchy) but I have seen the show on broadway in NY! It was AMAZING! If you ever get a chance to see it, DO IT!!! You will not regret it...i promise. It is that good.