I like Top Ten Lists. I find it fascinating to not only see what people enjoy, but the order of preference they give to the items on the list. I also like to try and develop my own lists of things I like in particular categories.
However, my tastes change so much, that my Top Ten lists are obsolete almost before I finish them. If someone were to ask me, for example, what my all-time top ten favorite songs were, I would laugh in their face. Mostly because I wouldn't know which ones to pick.
But I've done some thinking, and I think I've come up with a Top Ten list that I can decide on and that people will enjoy reading. Here we go....
Top Ten Fictional Characters
10. Hammy the Squirrel from Over the Hedge. I love the movie, but after Hammy was introduced about 7 minutes in, I spent every second just waiting for him to come on screen again. So cute and loveable.
9. Menolly from Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series. Menolly loves music so much, that when it is forbidden her, it is physically painful. She finds such joy and release in music. To Menolly every phrase becomes a potential song.
8. Samwise Gamgee from The Lord of the Rings trilogy of movies. Sean Astin put so much emotion into this character. He's so sincere, loving and earnest. He just wants to help Frodo. It's Frodo's quest, but Sam is there, every step of the way.
7. Durnik the smith from the Belgariad and the Malloreon. Honest, trustworthy, and loving. Good at everything. If he were real, I would probably wish I could be him.
6. The Tin Woodman, from the Wizard of Oz book series. He is honestly so caring and concerned, that he outshines the other characters, who are all great in their own right. And from his caring come some of the greatest words of wisdom.
5. Oz the werewolf, from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Understated. Taciturn. He tends to see straight through to the heart of any problem, and often presents the easiest, most direct solution. Plus, he falls in love with Willow. And Willow deserves to have someone love her.
4. Perrin Aybara from the Wheel of Time. Blacksmith. Honest. Talks to wolves. Marries Faile. Once he was introduced, I didn't care about the principal character anymore. I spend every book waiting for a Perrin appearance. And I'm always depressed when his chapters are over.
3. Kaylee Frye from Firefly and Serenity. She's cute, sweet and a mechanic. Very down to earth. She's the emotional anchor of the entire show. If she feels an emotion, the viewer feels that emotion. An amazing character.
2. Rube Sofer from Dead Like Me. He's the gruff, aloof, loving father figure of the group of "grim" reapers. It was this character's desire to take up painting that introduced me to Ed Hopper, one of my favorite painters. He tries to hide how much he cares, but the only person convinced is himself.
1. Tara Maclay from Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I think she is the only character I've ever had a serious crush on. The actress was an honest-to-goodness woman, not a twig. Tara was shy. And loving. And she fell in love with Willow. What can I say? Willow has great taste in significant others.
Well, there you go. A top ten list that will stay fairly consistent for quite a while. A lot of these characters came from great ensemble casts, and it was hard to choose one favorite, but I think I managed fairly well.
What do you think? Who are YOUR favorite characters?
She's a Wonder, Wonder Woman
1 month ago