Friday, March 9, 2012

Sergeants 3...

...is an interesting film.

I just watched it for the first time. From what I've read, it's a western remake of Gunga Din, starring the Rat Pack. I've never seen Gunga Din, so I can't comment on that aspect of the film. It was a fun movie, though. I actually felt like the acting was pretty solid. 

It made me a little bit homesick. Sergeants 3 was filmed in Southern Utah, specifically Bryce Canyon National Park and the canyons and area surrounding Kanab, UT. I grew up in Kanab. I recognized most of the scenery. Even knew a couple of the canyons. There was a lot of "Oh, I've been there quite a few times."

I decided to watch this movie because I've heard about it repeatedly throughout my life. My father was an extra during the filming of the movie. I watched for his face and never picked it out of the crowds. 

Whenever my dad talked about this movie, he had a very low opinions of the stars. The only member of the Rat Pack that he thought was a good guy was Sammy Davis Jr. Dad thought the other guys were jerks, to put it politely. 

Overall, it was fun to watch. I felt it was a little light on plot, that the story needed a little fleshing out, but it was worth a watch, even if you only watch it to try and pick out the face of a particular extra during the crowd scenes.
 

 

No comments: