Monday, February 14, 2011

My Book Reading Project...


...is progressing, though a little slower than I anticipated. Of course, it doesn't help that I keep buying new books. As soon as I do I want to read the new ones. And the reading list keeps growing and growing.

I wish I could finish by the time I anticipate going to Korea, but that doesn't seem all that likely to happen.

Oh well. I'm still reading at a rather surprising rate. I figured, since at this point I've read about 140 books, that I would start my series of blog posts about the books I've read. I think I'll do it in chunks of 25. Seems manageable. Especially since a lot of the books I've read are graphic novels in a series. I can include all those in one, I don't want to say review...but I think that's the best word that applies.

Here goes:

  1. PS 238 Volumes 1 through 7, by Aaron Williams. In a nutshell, this is a series about a school for kids with superpowers. It's an idea so good that Disney has stolen it twice (Sky High and Zoom). Aaron Williams has a great take on classic superhero ideas. Great, great series.
  2. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen volumes 1 and 2 and Black Dossier by Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill. The first two volumes are amazing. I don't enjoy Black Dossier all that much. Basic premise: characters from classic literary works (Mina Murray, Captain Nemo, Alan Quartermain, Jekyll/Hyde, and the Invisible Man) work together to protect Great Britain. It's better, much better than it sounds.
  3. Dragon Song, Dragonsinger, Dragon Drums, Dragonflight, Dragonquest, and The White Dragon by Anne McCafferey. These are books in the Pern series. I love these books, especially Dragonsinger and Dragon Song, as they deal more particularly with music. The author portrays the idea of having a powerful talent for music very well. I cry a lot while reading these two books. Can't help it. Fun, fun books.
  4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 8 Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan and Georges Jeanty. The second collection of the Buffy comic series. I love me some Buffy and thus love this series. The art and writing are excellent.
  5. Y: The Last Man volumes 1 through 10 by Brian K. Vaughan and Pia Guerra. A masterpiece of comic book literature. This is a series that deals with a world where every mammal with a y chromosome has mysteriously died, with the exception of Yorick and his monkey, Ampersand. An adventure series that deals with gender issues and international relations. A great series well worth reading.
That's actually 27 books, but I didn't want to break up the Y: The Last Man into two different blog posts. Especially since they are all done by the same writer. Most of them are by the same artists, with the occasional fill in by other artists.

Anyway, in a day or two I'll be back with the next 25 (more or less) books.

Have a great day!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a huge and admirable project. Hope you're having a good time with it.