Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Random-ish thoughts...


So, I'm getting married in May. The 13th to be exact. It's a fun date to have in mind. People ask if I'm sure, since it's Friday the 13th. I tell them that's why we chose the date. As much as I'm looking forward to being married, I find myself thinking more about the logistics. Where we're going to live. I need a job that's more compatible with marriage. The graveyard shift really isn't. Plus, she's got about a year left before getting her teaching certificate, so that means more time in Cedar City and putting off my grad school applications. Lots of thoughts.

I want to run away to Vegas for a couple days. Don't know that it's going to happen any time soon, but I want to go. Visit the Shark Reef at Mandalay Bay. Go to the Peruvian restaurant I know there. Visit the Stratosphere hotel to research for a short story I have in mind (could be interesting as I don't like heights at all).

Some guys my age talk about their dream cars or jobs or whatnot. I have a dream library that I've designed myself. I like it. Nice big skylight. Shelves and books everywhere. A round couch sunk into the floor in the center of the room, with lamps coming over the shoulder. In the corners will be glass shelves for knick-knacks, with hidden lighting behind the glass shelves. I want it to be warm, welcoming and comfortable.

My tonsil hurts. Yep, just one. Gargling with salt water is helping.

Overall, life is pretty good at the moment. No major complaints.


4 comments:

Leta-Kaye said...

Congratulations! :) On gargling. Well, and that other big thing you just slid right in there. I'm happy for you!!

jgirl said...

What wonderful news Adam!!! As for the "tonsil", gargle the snot out of it! I only have partial tonsils left after years of near chronic tonsillitis, I gargle them better with gusto! ;0)

Unknown said...

Well, first, a hearty congratulations, notwithstanding my father's advice, which I never took as well, "Stay single and tell your children to do the same."

Where to live seems often to be an issue for newlyweds. When I was first married, I was a reporter and we probably lived in five different cities in the first five years. Little choice for me there. I've no advice on that except to say it should obviously be where you're both comfortable.

I had your "graveyard" shift issue when I was first married as well, except we called the "lobster" shift at the newspaper. Since it wasn't permanent, it wasn't all that bad, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.

How unique: Real reasons to visit Vegas...the Shark Reef's wonderful by the way and I'd like to know the Peruvian restaurant.

Glad you have a dream library and I hope it comes to fruition. Sounds nice.

Again, congrats on the forthcoming nuptuals.

Adam said...

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! My tonsil is doing better and I'm looking forward to may.

Refugee: The Peruvian place in Vegas is called Inka Si SeƱor. I looked it up and the address is 2797 S Maryland Parkway. At least, if it's still up and running. I was there several years ago.