Sunday, October 14, 2007

What I Want...

I was talking to my mother the other day, when she asked me what I'm sure she thought was a simple question:

"What do you want for Christmas?"

She probably didn't realize that recently, figuring out what I want is one of the main things I do with my time. I honestly have a very hard time figuring out what it is that I want, what makes me happy.

I think I can recognize the problem. Over the last several years, I have tried to school myself to accept what comes along. In particular, accepting the consequences of my actions and those things I have no control over. And I believe that is a good quality, really, as it helps me to avoid undue stress. Unfortunately, I think I have carried it too far, as I'm so used to accepting what comes along, that I don't know what I want to have happen anymore.

So, in furtherance of trying to find out what I like and what I want, I've begun a process of eliminations. I'm taking a look at hobbies or interests I currently have and trying to decide if it's something I want to continue, that I really like, or if I should get rid of it. I'm also trying to pay attention to other things that I may enjoy, and give them a try, just to see if it will work for me.

We'll see if this works.

2 comments:

julie said...

I can totally relate. What do you want? It IS a simple question, but the answer isn't so easy. Good luck with figuring out what you want! :)

julie said...

So, how is it coming? Figuring out what it is that you want? I hope so. :)