Thursday, May 24, 2007

A New First...

So I had a new experience at work the other day.

I was speaking with a Ms. S., and what she had called for did not take very long, and when we had finished she started chatting with me for a second. She asked if I was studying in school, so I told her I was in-between degrees, and that I wanted to go to grad school. I told her my major was in Spanish.

She evidently thought that was pretty impressive. She told me that the mind is unhinged and could accomplish anything. The she asked, "Well, why aren't you working for a bank in Spain, my Nigger (pronounce niggah)?" I told her that I just wasn't prepared to work in another country yet.

We ended the call, and anytime I felt a little irritated after any call after that, I just had to remember Ms. S. and I would start giggling uncontrollably. I felt very flattered and took that phrase as a complement, as I think it was meant.

It still makes me smile to think of it.

1 comment:

Di said...

Hey Bro,
I never knew you as a "Niggah". I'm glad that it was a term of endearment! Cooley Woooley. DI